The “History of Magic Museum” LEGO Ideas Project needs your support to reach the 10,000 votes to be considered as an official LEGO set that goes into production.
Follow this LINK to support the set. You will have to create an account but it will be worth it if this set gets the needed votes.
Watch the 60s preview video:
Check out the detailed video below:
Overview of the LEGO History of Magic Museum
The goal of this set is to blend two creative arts together for an enriching, entertaining and educational experience.
Fans of LEGO brick-building will be introduced to the art of magic as they embark on a journey into the colourful world of conjuring & prestidigitation in the “History of Magic Museum”.
The “History of Magic Museum” is a historically accurate magic-themed three-storey building that highlights some of the greatest illusions and magicians in the history of magic.
It is highly detailed with numerous LEGO replicas of authentic magic & illusion props used by illusionists from the past to present day.
There are more than half a dozen play features and removable brick-built illusion displays.
LEGO “History of Magic Museum” created by J C Sum
Size of the LEGO History of Magic Museum
The size of the build (16 x 16 stud footprint) was deliberately made smaller than a full modular-sized building but was designed to visually fit with other official modular buildings as well as the smaller creator series buildings such as the Corner Deli and Bike Shop & Cafe.
It works as a corner building or a “set-in’ building, in-between two other modular buildings.
The museum when placed beside the “Brick Bank” and the “Corner Deli”. Note that the “Corner Deli” is a modified one but is of similar size to the original.
Description of the LEGO History of Magic Museum
Front & Back Exterior
- A set of glass windows adorn the front of the building on the ground floor. Deep red velvet curtains revealing magic props and a traditional magician’s attire with top hat on a mannequin can be seen through the windows.
- A large 3D “rabbit from a top hat” sign is mounted above the ground floor front windows.
- A lamppost in the form of a magic wand is set on the corner of the building property.
- The second floor has multiple glass windows so that exhibits can be seen from the outside.
- The third floor has a different design for visual variety and to maximise space.
- The back of the building has a recessed back door with an electronic keypad lock, a jail-bar style window and some greenery on the back wall.
- The roof has a skylight, aircon compressor and a drain for rain water that can run down a set of pipes mounted on the back of the building.
Ground Floor Interior: Chamber of Close-up & Stage Magic
The ground floor features many authentic and historically accurate display pieces and artefacts in the genre of close-up and stage magic. The displays on this floor include:
- The close-up magic wall that features a portrait of “The Professor” Dai Vernon and various close-up magic props such as cards, silver coins, a set of copper cups & balls and his “Master Fellowship” award from the Academy of Magical Arts (1968).
- A set of Passe Passe Bottles (created in the late 1800s)
- A modern version of J.N. Hofzinser’s Dancing cane (next to back door).
- A Botania flower production and a Square Circle production box invented by Louis Histed. (front display window).
- A mannequin donning a classic magician’s top hat, white gloves and tail coat attire from the vaudeville “Golden age of Magic” (1880s to the 1930s).
- A collection of artefacts related to the infamous “Bullet Catch” illusion including a musket used by Scottish magician John Henry Anderson in 1840, a copy of the letter from Houdini’s mentor, Harry Keller, dated 1918, who wrote to him to dissuade him from performing the bullet catch and a 1918 newspaper article on the death of American magician William Ellsworth Robinson (AKA Chung Ling Soo) due to the bullet catch act going wrong.
- Two sets of book cases containing copies of the most important texts in magic including David Devant’s “Secrets of My Magic”, S.W. Erdnase’s “Expert at the Card Table” and Harlan Tarbell’s “Tarbell Course in Magic”.
- One of the bookcases can swing open 90 degrees to reveal a ladder that leads to the 2nd The other bookcase can be completely removed to reveal a hidden display case for a 1st Edition of “The Discoverie of Witchcraft” (1584) written by English magician, Reginald Scot; considered the first magic book in history.
2nd Floor Interior: Tribute to Houdini
The second floor is a tribute to arguably the most famous and influential magician and escape artist in history, Harry Houdini. The floor showcases a variety of historical props and restraints used by Houdini in his illustrious career.
- A recreation of the Scotland Yard jail cell that Houdini escaped from in 1904 and a map showing its location.
- A straight jacket used by Houdini during his career.
- Houdini’s version of John Neville Maskelyne’s “Substitution Trunk” Illusion (1894).
- The “Water Torture Cell” that debuted in 1912.
- A ticket and playbill from Houdini’s first European tour in 1900.
- A pair of handcuffs used in Houdini’s crate escape from New York’s East River on July 7, 1912 as well as a photo of the East River location where the escape took place.
3rd Floor Interior: Hall of Illusions
This floor is dedicated to the genre of large-scale illusions in magic. It features 3 removable classic illusions including:
- Robert Harbin’s “Zig Zag Girl” Illusion (Mid-1960s).
- T. Selbit’s original “Sawing Through a Woman” (1920) on a platform.
- Frank Hewes’ “Sword Suspension” Illusion (1899).
There is a total of 5 minifigures inclusive of 1 curator/ magician, 2 museum visitors and 2 faceless mannequins for the illusion displays. EDIT: Actually, there are 6 minifigures as 1 has a clear head as the mannequin for the magician’s costume behind the ground floor front display window.